Environmental Awareness for NCA
Strenghening Environmental Awareness and Management Capacity in NCA's Operations in Sudan
Project dates: 15 March 2010 - Ongoing
ProAct Network is working with Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) to assess the environmental impact of their presence in South and West Darfur, and the current management capacity to address and mitigate against these impacts. Funded by Christian Aid, the project aims to raise awareness of environmental issues and potential interventions.
The main objectives of the project are to obtain a clear understanding of:
- the current environmental impacts associated with NCA’s activities in Darfur, including the organisation’s environmental footprint in terms of, for example, building activities for offices and staff accommodation, or running field projects;
- current capacity within NCA and its implementing partners to address these impacts;
- capacity building opportunities and environmental management projects that could be considered for inclusion in future appeals for funds; and thus,
- provide recommendations for incorporation in future planning and budget cycles.
Several different activities are envisaged in support of these objectives, including a self-assessment exercise, project site visits to conduct Rapid Environmental Assessments (REAs), and an environmental impact and capacity assessment workshop, based on participatory approaches. Such an inclusive consultation process is thought to be a more appropriate approach assisting and raising awareness amongst field programmes and staff rather than taking an external auditing-type approach.
Download ProAct Factsheets:
- Solid Waste Management and Drainage in Arabic and English
- Vector Control in Arabic and English
- Water Supply Access and Quality in Arabic and English
- Community Environmental Action Plans in Arabic and English
- Environmental Considerations in Camp Phase Out in English
- Environmental Management in Camp Settings in English
- Environmental Standards and Indicators in English
- Excreta Disposal and Sanitation in English
- Rapid Environmental Assessments in Arabic and English
For more information please contact: